This activity is a minimum impact activity. We'll meet you in the city centre and go together on public transport to the waters edge. Together, we will make a cosy campfire which we'll cook our meal on. We'll sit around on mats on the frost or snow covered ground & share stories about our campfire experiences & about campfire culture in Northern Norway. Relax by the campfire with hot chocolate before boarding the public bus back to Tromsø city centre. Though there is never a guarantee of seeing the Northern Lights we can sometimes
Season: 1st September - 15th April
Duration: 3 hours
Group size: 8 people (Minimum of 2 adults to confirm the tour)
Minimum age: 6 years old (please assess your child's comfort & safety for this activity)
Meeting time: 17:50 in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel Fredrik Langes gate 2, 9008 Tromsø | 18:50 from March 26 - April 15
Departure: 18:00 | 19:00 March 26 - April 15
Return: Guide will board the bus with you and advise the best bus stop for you to disembark based on your accommodation in the city centre. The guide will disembark at Wandering Owl office.
Carbon emmission: 8.3kg; offset by Chooose
About the meal: The meal provided is homemade soup. We provide bread to go with the soup which we cook together on the fire. Wandering Owl has partnered up with local farms to ensure as many ingredients are as locally sourced as possible (depends on the season). All ingredients have been evaluated for their ecological and social footprint. Please let us know in the booking if you have any allergies. All our soups are gluten-free, and all our food and drinks are vegan.
Inclusions: Warm homemade soup Ⓥ, biscuits & hot chocolate, all cooking equipment needed for the fire.
Safety considerations: The tour involves some walking (at least 200m); the conditions may be icy, slippery, uneven, muddy, snowy, or otherwise. The temperatures may be extremely cold (sometimes below -18) please ensure you are wearing appropriate clothing.
- After booking with us you'll receive a confirmation email. Please read through the email carefully and ensure all details are correct. If you don't receive a confirmation email from us, please get in contact with our friendly team.
- Our terms and conditions and our generous 24hr cancellation policy can be found here.
- Always travel with travel insurance.
- Learn more about our ethical and responsible tourism initiatives, including about our meals, citizen science projects and research partnerships here.
- All participants need to complete the eWaiver before the tour/activity start time. Here is the link to our waiver. It's one eWaiver per booking, no matter how many Wandering Owl activities you join. If you have been on tour with us in the last 12 months, you do not need to complete another waiver.
- It's a great idea to dress in layers, so as you warm up or cool down you can add and remove layers. We suggest: woolen base layer, woolen sweater, down mid layer and a shell or or windproof jacket as the final layer. Jeans, especially skinny jeans aren't windproof nor do they have any thermal qualities. High heels and fashion shoes are unsuitable.
- We suggest to download WhatsAPP before travelling to Norway. We prefer to use WhatsAPP or email when communicating with our guests. Remember to keep your phone handy on the day of the tour incase we need to make last minute changes or communicate with you.
- We never cancel simply because the forecast says it might be cloudy.
Looking for a restaurant recommendation, fun nightlife or cafe lifestyle in Tromsø? Here's our top picks! Here's an article about sustainable souvenir practices that all travellers should be informed about.
Don't forget to like, follow & tag @wanderingowl in owl your adventures with us.
- Make sure all guests/participants complete our eWaiver before the activity, project or tour departure date: https://forms.office.com/r/Xrt2DEEeBF
- Information about the meeting location: The pick up location is in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel for all Wandering Owl supplied tours and all Wild Lab Projects activities and projects. Directions can be found here. There is no Wandering Owl or Wild Lab Projects signage but it's easy to find. We ask that you arrive 5 - 10 minutes early, please arrive on time - we can not delay the departure for guests and participants that fail to arrive on time. Our guides and facilitators will arrive 5 minutes before the departure time. If there is snow or traffic, the guides and facilitators might be slightly delayed.
- Please read our FAQ to be well prepared for your stay in Tromsø.
- We have merchandise available for purchase here.
- Would you like to learn more about the nonprofit that Wandering Owl has founded? Learn more about Wild Lab Projects here (website to be live during Feb 2023).
Always travel with travel insurance. Wandering Owl has a strict cancellation policy and no refunds are given if you can not attend the tour for circumstances outside Wandering Owls control such as flights, immigration or custom delays, or cruise docking being delayed, cancelled or missed etc.
AGE:Adult, TYPE:Activity, SUITABILITY:Night Time, INTEREST:Ecotourism, SKILL_LEVEL:Beginner, AGE:Teenager, INTENSITY:Relaxed, INTEREST:Cultural, CATEGORY:Food Tours, INTEREST:Family
Make a donation Wild Lab Projects
Map of Tromsø area
Online Aurora Photography course