Leave the beaten tracks behind and immerse yourself in the long polar night. If the sky is clear and if the stars are out you may even see the Northern Lights! Listen to the silence and feel what the Arctic winter and polar night is all about. This winter activity gives adventurous travellers the chance to experience snow shoeing or hiking under a billion stars, the moon and may be even the Northern Lights! The most intimate beauty is revealed to the most adventurous night owls. This night time activity includes a warm home-made meal, thermal suits and boots and snowshoes. Your guide will take photos of your activity and share them with you after the tour in web-sized resolution. After enjoying a homemade hot chocolate we'll take you back to your hotel on Tromso island.
Season: 15th September - 15th April (depending on the full moon dates)
Duration: 4 - 6 hours
Group size: 4 - 8 pax
Minimum age: 10 years old (please assess your child's comfort & safety for this activity)
Meeting time: 17:50 in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel
Return: Drop off to the city centre.
Inclusions: Thermal suits & boots (adult sizes only), warm homemade soup, biscuits & hot chocolate, tripods, photos of the tour in web-sized resolution.
Safety considerations: The tour involves walking (at least 1m); the conditions may be icy, slippery, uneven, muddy, snowy, or otherwise. The temperatures may be extremely cold (sometimes below -30) please ensure you are wearing appropriate clothing underneath your thermal suit.
- Our terms and conditions and our generous cancellation policy can be found here.
- Always travel with travel insurance.
- All participants need to complete the eWaiver before the tour/activity start time. Here is the link to our waiver. It's one eWaiver per participant, no matter how many Wandering Owl activities you join.
- We suggest to download WhatsAPP before travelling to Norway. We prefer to use WhatsAPP or email when communicating with our guests. Remember to keep your phone handy on the day of the tour incase we need to make last minute changes or communicate with you.
- It's a great idea to dress in layers, so as you warm up or cool down you can add and remove layers. We suggest: woolen base layer, woolen sweater, down mid layer and a shell or or windproof jacket as the final layer. Jeans, especially skinny jeans aren't windproof nor do they have any thermal qualities. High heels and fashion shoes are unsuitable.
- We never cancel simply because the forecast says it might be cloudy. You can learn more about this by reading our Northern Light blog category here.
- The activity varies every night of the season. Here is a link to our album to show you how different it can look depending on the environmental conditions at the time. Remember a star walk is a unique experience, even if the stars don't appear, it's truly magical to wander in the snow in the wilderness at night.
Don't forget to like, follow and tag @wanderingowl in owl your adventures with us.
- Make sure all guests/particpants complete our eWaiver before the activity, project or tour departure date: https://forms.office.com/r/Xrt2DEEeBF
- Information about the meeting location: The pick up location is in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel for all Wandering Owl supplied tours and all Wild Lab Projects activities and projects. Directions can be found here. There is no Wandering Owl or Wild Lab Prjects signage but it's easy to find. We ask that you arrive 5 - 10 minutes early, please arrive on time - we can not delay the departure for guests and participants that fail to arrive on time. Our guides and facilitators will arrive 5 minutes before the departure time because the vehicle can not be standing in this parking zone for longer than 10 minutes. If there is snow or traffic, the guides and facilitators might be slightly delayed.
- Please read our FAQ to be well prepared for your stay in Tromsø.
- We have merchandise available for purchase here.
- Would you like to learn more about the nonprofit that Wandering Owl has founded? Learn more about Wild Lab Projects here.
Always travel with travel insurance. Wandering Owl has a strict cancellation policy and no refunds are given if you can not attend the tour for circumstances outside Wandering Owls control such as flights, immigration or custom delays, or cruise docking being delayed, cancelled or missed etc.
AGE:Adult, TYPE:Activity, INTENSITY:Sporty, INTEREST:Special Interest, SUITABILITY:Night Time, SKILL_LEVEL:Intermediate, SUITABILITY:Groups, INTEREST:Ecotourism, AGE:Teenager, INTEREST:Sightseeing
Map of Tromsø area
Souvenir package worth NOK650
Postcard package (5)
Online Aurora Photography course
Make a donation Wild Lab Projects