Leave the beaten tracks behind and immerse yourself in the long polar night. If the sky is clear and if the stars are out you may even see the Northern Lights! Listen to the silence and feel what the Arctic winter and polar night is all about. This winter activity gives adventurous travellers the chance to experience snow shoeing or hiking under a billion stars, the moon and may be even the Northern Lights! The most intimate beauty is revealed to the most adventurous night owls. This night time activity includes a warm home-made meal, thermal suits and boots and snowshoes. Your guide will take photos of your activity and share them with you after the tour in web-sized resolution. After enjoying a homemade hot chocolate we'll take you back to your hotel on Tromso island.
Season: 15th September - 15th April (depending on the full moon dates)
Duration: 4 - 6 hours
Group size: 3 - 8 pax
Minimum age: 10 years old (please assess your child's comfort & safety for this activity)
Meeting time: 17:50 in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel
Return: Drop off to your accommodation on Tromsøya (Tromsø Island) only.
Inclusions: Thermal suits & boots (adult sizes only), warm homemade soup, biscuits & hot chocolate, tripods, photos of the tour in web-sized resolution.
Safety considerations: The tour involves walking (at least 1m); the conditions may be icy, slippery, uneven, muddy, snowy, or otherwise. The temperatures may be extremely cold (sometimes below -30) please ensure you are wearing appropriate clothing underneath your thermal suit.
Additional Safety Considerations relevant for winter season 2020/21:
Wandering Owl has a duty of care to protect the health and safety of our team, our guests and to do our part are responsible community members. For this reason we have implemented the following standards in all our tours. Please read them before booking, by providing payment you have confirmed that you agree and understand these standards:
- Thermal suits are not provided on the tour. As thermal suits promote the spread of the virus and put our guides and logistics team at additional risk. If you wish to hire thermal suits, please get in touch with our office to enquire.
- Mittens, scarfs and beanies are not provided for guests, please bring your own.
- Guests are required to wear a face mask at all times on tour. These will not be provided by Wandering Owl and must be provided by the guest. Please bring them with you from your home country as Tromso is a small city with limited PPE resources that are meant for the local population.
- Guests must not come within 1m of our team or other guests not travelling with them.
- Our offices will be closed for walk in traffic for this season. Please call or email in advance for us to arrange appropriate precautions for those who wish to enter the office. This precaution is to ensure the health and safety of our team.
For more information please see this post: Planning your Aurora Holiday during COVID-19.
After booking: After you book this activity you will be sent an immediate email with a link, this link contains some important questions regarding food preferences, equipment, allergies, contact details, and other important information we need from you in order to provide the best possible service for you. We ask that you complete the questions on the link as soon as you can, please allow about 5 - 10 minutes to complete this.
AGE:Adult, TYPE:Activity, INTENSITY:Sporty, INTEREST:Special Interest, SUITABILITY:Night Time, SKILL_LEVEL:Intermediate, SUITABILITY:Groups, INTEREST:Ecotourism, AGE:Teenager, INTEREST:Sightseeing
Flexible rebooking & cancellation