Make your adventure count and give back to our local ecosystems. Join the nonprofit Wild Lab Projects and help monitor the impacts of light pollution on songbirds. Join us to monitor the progress of this species and to help provide safe and secure nest boxes. Depending on the season and the project needs, you'll be either building, installing or monitoring these songbirds.
You'll experience & participate in this citizen science initiative with our Wild Lab Projects facilitator, where you'll have the opportunity to collect data. Following our validated methodology, you provided much-needed data to protect the birdlife in our region. After the collection, that data is uploaded to our research partners' database, where they'll use it to learn about the demography, movements, and conservation status of these birds.
After our science contribution is done, we can lay back & enjoy the homemade snack we have prepared for you. This is the most ethical trip for you to experience the extraordinary nature of Northern Norway.
Season: All year
Duration: 4 hours
Group size: 3 - 8 people
Minimum age: 12 years old (upon request, we can accept younger children, however parents must discuss this with us in advance to determine if it is suitable)
Meeting time: 09:50 | 10:50 in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel (check your start time)
Departure: 10:00 | 11:00
Return: Drop off in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel.
Inclusions: Homemade snacks & tea, coffee, and all equipment needed for the project.
Safety considerations: The project involves walking; the conditions may be icy, slippery, uneven, muddy, snowy or otherwise. You will be required to actively help carry equipment, lift and be involved. Please wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
- Wild Lab Projects is a local nonprofit founded by Wandering Owl in 2023. Learn more about it here.
- This activity is just one part of a larger ongoing project with Wild Lab Projects. You can read more about the project, the projects goals and why this project is so crucial here.
- Full terms for joining Wild Lab Projects can be found here.
- Always travel with travel insurance.
- All participants need to complete the eWaiver before the tour/activity start time. Here is the link to our waiver. It's one eWaiver per participant, no matter how many Wandering Owl activities you join.
- We suggest to download WhatsAPP before travelling to Norway. We prefer to use WhatsAPP or email when communicating with our guests. Remember to keep your phone handy on the day of the tour incase we need to make last minute changes or communicate with you.
Don't forget to like, follow and tag @wanderingowl and @wildlabprojects in owl your adventures with us.
Wild Lab Projects is a nonprofit that was founded in 2023 by Wandering Owl. As part of Wandering Owl's ongoing support of Wild Lab Projects, some software and services are provided by Wandering Owl - including the software you have used to sign up as a participant to this project. To ensure the most sustainable practices are in place, some equipment and services will be supplied from Wandering Owl and thus may have the Wandering Owl logo, address or contact information on it. Both Wild Lab Projects and Wandering Owl team members can assist you with any questions you may have :)
- Please read our FAQ to be well-prepared for your time in Tromsø.
- If you would like to know more about Northern Lights or other interesting reads, like how to stay warm in the Arctic, to learn about our fav restaurants, bars, cafes and other things to do in Tromsø, please check out Wandering Owl's blog :)
AGE:Adult, TYPE:Activity, CATEGORY:Eco-Tours, SUITABILITY:Family, INTEREST:Special Interest, INTEREST:Ecotourism, AGE:Teenager, INTENSITY:Active, INTEREST:Voluntourism, SUITABILITY:Schools, SUITABILITY:Groups, SKILL_LEVEL:Beginner, SUITABILITY:Any Weather
Make a donation Wild Lab Projects
Map of Tromsø area