Arctic Reindeer Sledding
Are you searching for an unforgettable reindeer & local cultural experience? Sami culture is integral throughout the Arctic region. Their knowledge and connection with the reindeer in so important and unique. You'll learn about their community, traditional lifestyle and have the opportunity to feed the herd of around 200 wild reindeer who will swarm all around and some may even eat from your hands. The guides will also help you use the lasso (but not on real reindeer) and explain the purpose of this. You will then be given some guidance and history about reindeer sledding and go on a short sledding ride (5 – 10 mins) near the sea with the mountains in the background. Afterwards you will then be invited inside a game (a traditional sami hut) where you will be served warm drinks and a traditional Sami meal will be cooked over the fire (vegetarian option available). After lunch you will be invited into a lavuu (Sami tent) and gather round the fire to listen to stories about Sami culture and how it is to be a reindeer herder. The Sami guide will also perform a joik (traditional Sami song) for the guests. Our trusted partners will bring you back to Tromsø city centre with a full stomach, heart-warming memories and open eyes.
795 NOK (6-12 yrs)
Are you in?
Here is your activity map!
You'll be picked up
in the city centre at 10:00 AM (Radisson Blu hotel)
Your journey starts
as our partners drive you
Meet the reindeers
and if snow permits, enjoy a short Reindeer Sledding experience and learn about Sami culture.
Our partner will bring you back happy, safe and sound to the city centre
Good to know
- Feeding of wild Reindeer, guests can test lasso throwing (but not on real reindeer), a reindeer sledding ride if the snow permits, hot drinks (tea, coffee, hot chocolate), warm lunch of bidos (a traditional Sami soup - vegetarian option possible), storytelling of Sami Culture, a joik performance (traditional Sami folk song), 25 min bus ride back to Tromsø City Centre.
- Easy, family friendly
- Make sure you wear a warm base layer and winter clothes including warm shoes, a hat, mittens, a scarf and woolen socks. As thermal suits and boots are not included.
- In spring it’s good to wear sunglasses.
- Do not bring luggage as there is no where to store it.
- This activity is not operated by Wandering Owl AS, this is operated by our trusted partners Tromso Arctic Reindeer.
If you have any questions or want to contact us click on the icon.
You will access our extensive knowledge base, where you most likely will find your answers instantly.