Come with us for your Aurora hunt for an amazing and ethical experience underneath the polar night sky. Tromsø is the best place to see the Northern Lights. Leave the light pollution in Tromsø behind and travel into the Arctic wilderness. During this activity, our small team of Aurora guides check the forecasts and use local knowledge to decide on the best place to chase the Northern Lights. When we find the best spot we will dress in warm thermal suits and boots, make a cosy campfire, and enjoy a homemade meal. During your Aurora Hunt activity you'll be shown how to use your camera, photograph the Aurora, and our guides will take photos of you, which are provided for free in web-sized resolution after the tour. During our time together in the wilderness, we will to collect data for one of our citizen science projects. You'll have the opportunity to follow our validated scientific method to collect data that will be used to protect our precious tundra. After the data collection, that data is uploaded to our research partners' database, where they'll use it in their research that will help inform policy making and be used as data in our Responsible Tourism Project, where we work with other local tourism professionals to ensure the tundra is protected.
Relax by the campfire with hot chocolate before being returned back to Tromsø island to your hotel. Though there is never a guarantee of seeing this phenomenon, our experienced team of Aurora Hunters will do their best, every night of the season. Increase your chances to see the Northern Lights by joining on multiple evenings.
Season: 5th September - 15th April
Duration: 5 - 8 hours
Group size: 8 - 15 pax (Minimum of 4 adults to confirm the tour)
Minimum age: 6 years old (please assess your child's comfort & safety for this activity)
Meeting time: 17:50 in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel Fredrik Langes gate 2, 9008 Tromsø | 18:50 from March 26 - April 15
Departure: 18:00 | 19:00 March 26 - April 15
Return: Drop off at set locations on Tromsø: Scandic Ishavhotel, Smarthotel,
AMIhotel, Vervet, Wandering Owl office, Airport, Moxy Hotel, Arctic Cathedral, Tromsø
Camping bus stop, Breivika kai
Carbon emmission: 8.3kg; offset by Chooose. Wandering Owl is eco-certified by Travelife.
About the meal: The meal provided is homemade soup in a 400ml portion. We provide bread to go with the soup. Wandering Owl has partnered up with local farms to ensure as many ingredients are as locally sourced as possible (depends on the season). All ingredients have been evaluated for their ecological and social footprint. Please let us know in the booking if you have any allergies. All our soups are gluten free, and all our food and drinks are vegan.
Inclusions: Thermal suits & boots (limited child sizes, please contact us for more information), warm homemade soup Ⓥ, biscuits & hot chocolate, tripods, citizen science participation (if the conditions are suitable for data collection) and photos of the tour in web-sized resolution.
Safety considerations: The tour involves some walking (at least 200m); the conditions may be icy, slippery, uneven, muddy, snowy, or otherwise. The temperatures may be extremely cold (sometimes below -30) please ensure you are wearing appropriate clothing underneath your thermal suit.
- After booking with us you'll receive a confirmation email. Please read through the email carefully and ensure all details are correct. If you don't receive a confirmation email from us, please get in contact with our friendly team.
- Our terms and conditions and our generous 24hr cancellation policy can be found here.
- Always travel with travel insurance.
- Learn more about our ethical and responsible tourism initiatives, including about our meals, citizen science projects and research partnerships here.
- All participants need to complete the eWaiver before the tour/activity start time. Here is the link to our waiver. It's one eWaiver per booking, no matter how many Wandering Owl activities you join. If you have been on tour with us in the last 12 months, you do not need to complete another waiver.
- It's a great idea to dress in layers, so as you warm up or cool down you can add and remove layers. We suggest: woolen base layer, woolen sweater, down mid layer and a shell or or windproof jacket as the final layer. Jeans, especially skinny jeans aren't windproof nor do they have any thermal qualities. High heels and fashion shoes are unsuitable.
- We suggest to download WhatsAPP before travelling to Norway. We prefer to use WhatsAPP or email when communicating with our guests. Remember to keep your phone handy on the day of the tour incase we need to make last minute changes or communicate with you.
- We never cancel simply because the forecast says it might be cloudy. You can learn more about this by reading our Northern Light blog category here.
- The activity varies every night of the season. Here is a link to our album to show you how different it can look depending on the environmental conditions at the time.
Looking for a restaurant recommendation, fun nightlife or cafe lifestyle in Tromsø? Here's our top picks! Here's an article about sustainable souvenir practices that all travellers should be informed about.
Don't forget to like, follow & tag @wanderingowl in owl your adventures with us.
Special Winter Day Deal: Add Winter Arctic Landscapes to your shopping cart & automatically get 10% off the day tour.
- Make sure all guests/particpants complete our eWaiver before the activity, project or tour departure date: https://forms.office.com/r/Xrt2DEEeBF
- Information about the meeting location: The pick up location is in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel for all Wandering Owl supplied tours and all Wild Lab Projects activities and projects. Directions can be found here. There is no Wandering Owl or Wild Lab Prjects signage but it's easy to find. We ask that you arrive 5 - 10 minutes early, please arrive on time - we can not delay the departure for guests and participants that fail to arrive on time. Our guides and facilitators will arrive 5 minutes before the departure time because the vehicle can not be standing in this parking zone for longer than 10 minutes. If there is snow or traffic, the guides and facilitators might be slightly delayed.
- Please read our FAQ to be well prepared for your stay in Tromsø.
- We have merchandise available for purchase here.
- If you would like to see how different the Northern Lights can look, check out our gallery here.
- We've partnered with Tromsø Arctic Reindeer who offer quality experiences for travellers - including reindeer sledding and feeding, and learning about their Sami culture. Learn more here: Reindeer activities.
- Would you like to learn more about the nonprofit that Wandering Owl has founded? Learn more about Wild Lab Projects here (website to be live during Feb 2023).
Always travel with travel insurance. Wandering Owl has a strict cancellation policy and no refunds are given if you can not attend the tour for circumstances outside Wandering Owls control such as flights, immigration or custom delays, or cruise docking being delayed, cancelled or missed etc.
ACCESSIBILITY:Asthmatic, AGE:Adult, SUITABILITY:Gift Voucher, CATEGORY:Eco-Tours, INTEREST:Special Interest, INTEREST:Ecotourism, AGE:Teenager, AGE:Senior, INTENSITY:Active, SUITABILITY:Night Time, SUITABILITY:Groups, SKILL_LEVEL:Beginner, AGE:Child, SUITABILITY:Any Weather, INTEREST:Cultural, TYPE:Tour
Adventure cup - Available from February 15
Souvenir package worth NOK650
Online Aurora Photography course
Special Night Package
Map of Tromsø area
Postcard package (5)
Make a donation Wild Lab Projects