Join this nature conservation project that promotes coexistence with the black-legged kittiwake, an endangered species of bird that seeks refuge in Tromsø. This cohabitation can be a source of conflict. This project aims at creating innovative solutions to live in harmony with nature in our urban spaces. As a citizen scientist, you will map the nests in the city center and monitor the breeding activity on the “kittiwake hotels”. Make your stay in Tromsø count, while discovering Tromsø from an original perspective with a local nature advocate.
This project is run by the nonprofit Wild Lab Projects in collaboration with the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research. This project is result-oriented and therefore aims for concrete change in favor of coexistence with kittiwakes. In autumn, a report will be sent to you, describing how your contribution has been productive.
Season: Spring and summer
Duration: 3 hours
Group size: 3 - 6 people
Minimum age: 12 years old (upon request, we can accept younger children, however parents must discuss this with us in advance to determine if it is suitable)
Meeting time: 08:50 | 9:50 in front of the Scandic Ishavhotel (check your start time)
Departure: 9:00 | 10:00
Return: City centre
Inclusions: All equipment needed for the project.
Difficulty: 2-km walk in the city on asphalt. This activity is wheelchair-friendly.
Safety considerations: The project involves walking in the city on asphalt. The conditions may be icy, slippery, uneven, muddy, windy or otherwise. Please wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
- Wild Lab Projects is a local nonprofit founded by Wandering Owl in 2023. Learn more about it here.
- This activity is just one part of a larger ongoing project with Wild Lab Projects. You can read more about the project, the projects goals and why this project is so crucial here.
- Full terms for joining Wild Lab Projects can be found here.
- Always travel with travel insurance.
- All participants need to complete the eWaiver before the tour/activity start time. Here is the link to our waiver. It's one eWaiver per participant, no matter how many Wandering Owl or Wild Lab Projects activities you join.
- We suggest to download WhatsAPP before travelling to Norway. We prefer to use WhatsAPP or email when communicating with our guests. Remember to keep your phone handy on the day of the tour incase we need to make last minute changes or communicate with you.
Don't forget to like, follow and tag @wanderingowl and @wildlabprojects in owl your adventures with us.
Wild Lab Projects is a nonprofit that was founded in 2023 by Wandering Owl. As part of Wandering Owl's ongoing support of Wild Lab Projects, some software and services are provided by Wandering Owl - including the software you have used to sign up as a participant to this project. To ensure the most sustainable practices are in place, some equipment and services will be supplied from Wandering Owl and thus may have the Wandering Owl logo, address or contact information on it. Both Wild Lab Projects and Wandering Owl team members can assist you with any questions you may have :)
- Please read our FAQ to be well-prepared for your time in Tromsø.
- If you would like to know more about Northern Lights or other interesting reads, like how to stay warm in the Arctic, to learn about our fav restaurants, bars, cafes and other things to do in Tromsø, please check out Wandering Owl's blog :)
SUITABILITY:Day Time, AGE:Adult, TYPE:Activity, CATEGORY:Eco-Tours, SUITABILITY:Family, INTEREST:Ecotourism, AGE:Teenager, INTENSITY:Active, INTEREST:Voluntourism, SUITABILITY:Schools, SUITABILITY:Groups, SKILL_LEVEL:Beginner, AGE:Child, SUITABILITY:Any Weather, INTEREST:Cultural
Make a donation Wild Lab Projects
Map of Tromsø area